Early Childhood Program
Criteria for Admission
The Lycée subscribes to a core set of criteria to establish eligibility for admission into our school.
- Children must be 4 years old by December 31st in order to start in Pre-Kindergarten.
- Knowledge of French language is not required in Pre-Kindergarten, but is highly recommended for Kindergarten.
- All children entering Kindergarten and residing in the U.S. for at least one year and/or coming from an English-language school must take the ERB test to be considered for admission. This is a standardized evaluation administered independently of the Lycée.
The Lycée follows the admissions schedule of other private schools in New York, set by the Independent Schools Admissions Association of Greater New York (ISAAGNY). Applications must be submitted in the fall preceding the school year being applied for. For example, parents who wish to enroll their child/children in fall 2014 should apply in fall 2013.
The deadline to receive an application is December 1st.
Once the completed application is received, the Admissions Office will contact the parents to set up a time for the child’s evaluation and the parents’ interview. Like most private schools, the Lycée works to put together a well-balanced community of students who will benefit from our program. Accordingly, applicants are evaluated in small groups in a classroom setting, while their parents or caregivers wait in a waiting room. If the parents of a preschool applicant do not live in the New York area, it is strongly recommended that they provide detailed school reports from the child’s current school in order to strengthen his/her application. In these cases, it is not mandatory to have the child’s evaluation visit or the parents’ interview.
Parents are notified of the Lycée’s decision between mid-February and early March - the specific dates are determined by ISAAGNY. If their child is accepted, parents must return the signed Contract with a non-refundable tuition deposit of $3,500 by the deadline stated in the acceptance letter in order to formally secure their child’s admission into the school.
Choosing the right school for your child requires a certain amount of education in itself. The Lycée invites interested parents to learn more about the school and its philosophy prior to submitting an application by attending one of three open house sessions in the fall. These open houses are an excellent way to get familiarized with the school, the curriculum, and the admissions process. Space is limited and reservations must be made in advance.
Following are the dates proposed for this fall:
(Open Houses are for adults only; children are not permitted to attend)
- Open House #1: Monday, September 24, 2012, 6:00 PM - SESSION COMPLETE
- Open House #2: Wednesday, October 10, 2012, 6:00 PM - SESSION COMPLETE
- Open House #3: Thursday, November 8, 2012, 6:00 PM - SESSION COMPLETE
Required documents for Early Childhood admission
- Completed forms 1, 2 3, and 4 (see above)
- Copy of the child’s birth certificate (or “livret de famille”)
- Copy of passport and/or visa (if applicable)
- A letter of interest describing your child and the type of education you are seeking
- Two letters of recommendation about your family from friends, colleagues, or other acquaintances
- Custody documents (if applicable)
- Copy of the previous year’s report cards or detailed school report (if applicable)
- ERB results (for Kindergarten only). To learn more about ERB and to schedule an appointment, visit ERB’s website or call 212-672-9800.
- $200 application fee (check or wire transfer). In the case of a wire transfer, please include a copy of the transfer with the application.